I was skimming the NYTime’s series My Bookshelf, Myself and started making a list of things to read. Even though there are a lot of books all over my apartment. They’re on coffee tables, book shelves, ottomans, the floor, on a feature wall in my apartment designed to showcase my favourite things..
I’m a reader. When I was 2, I wanted to be like my big sister (who is 5 years older)…and do everything she does. She sat me down with her and taught me how to read…Winnie the Pooh was her favourite and it was my first series.
I can’t date a man who doesn’t read. I’m a snob that way. You have to read books. Articles. Journals. Something more that a twitter feed or I will judge you. One guy proudly told me that he hadn’t read a book since he left high school…25 years earlier.
I think once I start dating again, I’ll ask a man for his Top 10 books before the first date. Otherwise what will be the point?
It was fucking hard…but here are mine:
- Giovanni’s Room –James Baldwin
- Go Tell it on the Mountain – James Baldwin
- The Robber Bride – Margaret Atwood
- The Handmaid’s Tale – Margaret Atwood
- Nine Stories – J.D. Salinger
- Trading Up – Candace Bushnell
- The Empress of the Last Days – Jane Stevenson
- A Wrinkle in Time – Madeline L’Engle
- The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe – C.S. Lewis
- Rush Home Road – Lori Lansens
Yours? (I may judge you…and go ahead for judging my Candace Bushnell choice…I choose my choice!)
*This list could’ve been all James Baldwin really…but I wanted to mix it up.
*My Favourite Salinger story is “A Perfect Day for Bananafish”
*The Empress of the Last Days is the third part of a trilogy…so don’t start there
*Rush Home Road was a book I finished in less than a day…I devoured it. I love it that much.
*Chronicles of Narnia >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Harry Potter. Don’t @ me.